The Historic Pullman District: Dispensary and Fire House

The Historic Pullman District: Dispensary and Fire House

J. Wallace
The Pullman Fire House was built in the 1890s. Italianate in style, it is the last firehouse in Chicago with an intact watch tower. It was joined in the early 20th century by the Pullman Dispensary. This building, which contained the dentist's and doctor's offices for Pullman, was expanded in the 1940s to the size shown here. The firehouse was closed in 1957, and has been vacant since then. The dispensary was pulled down sometime in the 1980s, however its foundations are still visible in the vacant lot. Plans have been made to convert this facility into a museum. The Dispensary is to be rebuilt in some capacity in conjunction with this plan, and the project will be done by 2012. #1800s #America #arson #Beman #blaze #Calumet #car #Chicago #collapse #Cottage_Grove #demolition #dentist #destroy #diesel #District #doctor #engine #Express #fire #Gothic #health #Illinois #Lake #Lincoln #medecine #medicine #Michigan #Midwest #North #nurse #Palace #Polar #Pole #Pullman #rail #railroad #railway #raze #razed #renovation #restoration #revival #road #Romanesque #States #steam #strike #surgeon #train #union #United #Victorian
Default Title