South Hall

South Hall

debby.h.sung
Description
South Hall was the first building to be constructed on the UC Berkeley campus. Designed by David Farquharson in 1875, it was originally built to serve as a fire-resistant building for laboratories for the Departments of Agriculture, and Physical and Natural Sciences. In its history, it has also housed the campus library to 1881, the offices of the University President and Secretary of the UC Regents to 1906, then continued its original use for sciences to 1924. A one-story shop for the Department of Physics was added on in 1913, which was later used as offices and meeting rooms for honorary student societies until 1936. It also served as a temporary museum for the State Geological Survey. It was later remodeled for the Departments of Political Science, Economics, Business Administration, and Sociology, which housed South Hall until 1964. The current resident of South Hall is the UC Berkeley School of Information. #Agriculture #Cal #David_Farquharson #economics #First_Building #Geological_Survey #Natural_Sciences #Oldest_Building #Physics #Political_Science #School_of_Information #Sociology #South_Hall #UC_Berkeley
Default Title