Fort Miles Coast Artillery Battery Smith

Fort Miles Coast Artillery Battery Smith

Battery519IDA
Battery Smith (1941-1948) - was a World War II 100-Series earth covered reinforced concrete 16 inch coastal gun battery located at Fort Miles, Delaware, part of the Harbor Defense of the Delaware (HDD) project. It was was the last of the "early construction batteries" and featured a recessed main gallery and a full burster cap. Until it was formally named, the structure was known as "Construction Number 118." Battery Smith was named for Major General William R. Smith, US Army. Construction on Battery Smith was approved on 20 April, 1934, but appropriations were not made until the FY1941 and FY1942 budgets. Battery Smith's construction started in Mar 1941, was completed in Oct 1942. Battery Smith was transferred on 21 December, 1943 at a cost of $1.3 million dollars. The first gun was mounted on 4 December, 1942, with the second following shortly thereafter. Smith featured a separate plotting room which would allow the battery to continue to function in the event of an attack on the battery itself. Battery Smith was deactivated in 1948 (declared surplus and the two 16-inch guns were sold as scrap). The emplacement still exists and serves today as artifact storage for Fort Miles as well as a massive maintenance facility for the Cape Henlopen State Park and the Fort Miles Historical Association. ========================== Fort Miles was a military WWII coast artillery harbor defense fort located on Cape Henlopen near Lewes, Delaware. The Fort Miles Historical Area (now part of the Cape Henlopen state park) was part of the WWII Harbor Defense of the Delaware defense system which protected the entry into the Delaware Bay. Military artillery at Cape Henlopen dates back to 1873, when the Army acquired 140 acres along the Delaware Bay and Atlantic for coastal defense. With the coming of World War II, another 1,000 acres were added to the site. In 1941, the fort became home to the 261st Coast Artillery, whose mission was to defend the E.I. duPont de Nemours & Co. complex in Wilmington, Del., the city of Philadelphia and the oil refineries that lined the Pennsylvania and New Jersey shorelines of the Delaware River. Fort Miles was added to the National Register of Historic Places in April 2005. #16_inch_gun, #16inch_Gun, #16_inch_battery, #Army, #Artillery, #Barbette_Carriage, #Battery, #Battery_Smith, #Bunker, #Casemate, #Coast_Artillery, #FMHA, #Fort, #Fort_Miles, #HDD, #Military, #WW2, #WWII,
Default Title