Cutter Shabazz

Cutter Shabazz

Model Your Campus
Description
Jens Larson designed this Clark School dormitory on the site of a large barn that was extant by 1904 but was demolished at some time between 1912 and 1922 according to Sanborn maps. The College purchased the building in the fall of 1953 from the Cardigan Mountain School which had bought it from the Clark School in the spring. The College renamed the dormitory for Mr. Cutter 1903 a Trustee from 1933-51. The building held 44 students and a faculty resident in 1961 (9 doubles 22 singles 1 quad) while in 1990 it held 27 in 27 single rooms with the "eight larger rooms... assigned by an internal priority system". The hall has housed the Afro-American Society since 1970 including offices a library and a multipurpose room on the first floor. The Shabazz Center in the building features a large mural of Malcolm X and the Society renamed the building Shabazz in the late 1980s. The College added a faculty residence as an ell to the south end of the building in the style of the adjacent Webster Cottage c.1997. The handicapped access upgrades also took place in 1997 (Scherman).(Source: Scott Meacham "Notes toward a Catalog of the Buildings and Landscapes of Dartmouth College "Dartmo.: The Buildings of Dartmouth College (updated 2001) at http://www.dartmo.com/buildings)Modeled by Samuel Kohn Jessica Glago
Default Title