St. Augustine's Catholic Church is located at 113 Virginia Street in Austin, Lander County, Nevada.
The northwest-facing church was built in 1866 on a steeply sloping site bounded by Virginia Street on the northwest, Court Street on the southwest, and Water Street on the northeast.
The one-story, nave-form building is constructed of American-bond brick on a granite basement and it has a front-gable roof with decorative rafter ends and recent corrugated metal roofing.
Centered on the front elevation is a three-story entry and belfry tower with a tall spire.
A ca. 1900 sacristy addition extends at the rear east corner.
The interior walls are covered with murals painted about 1940 depicting scenes from the Bible and other subjects.
In the gallery is a Henry Kilgen organ in an ornate Gothic organ case.
Both the main level and the basement, the latter historically used for classroom and living space, retain many traces of historic decorative painting, wallpaper, and floor treatments.
St. Augustine's Catholic Church to the west was built in 1866 of native brick and stone. Father Monteverde, the first pastor, conducted the first mass at midnight, Christmas Eve, 1866.
#Austin #Austin_Churches #Catholic #Church #County #Humboldt_River #Lander_Pony_Canyon #Nevada #Nevada_Historical_Markers #Reese_River #St_Augustine #US #US_HWY_50