The Trinitarian Church or Trinity Church, is a Baroque-style church in Bratislava's Old Town borough, on the Župné námestie square.The church was built on the place of older Church of St. Michael, which was demolished in 1529, along with the settlement of St. Michael, during the Ottoman wars, along with other suburbs, so as to see better the attacking Turks. The Trinitarian Order started construction of the church in 1717 and it was sanctified in 1727, although the works in the interior continued to the first half of the 18th century.
At the time of sanctifying of the church, a Trinitarian monastery was built on the place of nearby cemetery. However, the Trinitarian Order was closed by Joseph II in 1782 and the comitatus (county) office gained the building. However, it wasn't suiting its needs and was almost wholly demolished; "County House/Building" was built in 1844 in its place and became the seat of the Pressburg county. In the Great Hall of the building there were concerts of various composers, for example of Franz Liszt or Johannes Brahms. From 1939 to 1994 Slovak National Councils were housed in the building until the seat was moved into a new building next to the Bratislava Castle. Some of the notable political events include Tiso's government declaration of independent Slovakia on 14 March 1939 or the passing of the independence declaration on 17 July 1992. #Bratislava #church #kostol #Old_Town #staré_mesto