Hub

Hub

csc
The Hub was built in 1892 as a depot for the Ames College Railway, a bookstore, and a post office. It was originally positioned in front of Marston Hall but moved to the west side of Morrill Hall after the steam railway was switched to an electric streetcar in 1907. Only shortly after that, the Dinkey, as it was commonly called by Iowa State University students, was discontinued in 1908. In 1920 an addition for the bookstore and post office was added and in 1946 the Civilian Conservation Corps Building was moved and attached to the north end of the Hub. In 1952 another addition was added on to the east side of the previous addition. Eventually the bookstore moved out and into the Memorial Union in 1958, and the post office moved out in 1963. The hub had other various functions including a copy center, ticket office, and the University Traffic Office, but now contains only vending and a small grill. In 2008 an addition is being built on to the north side to hold a Starbucks cafe. This building was modeled by Benjamin Schwartz. #Copy_center #Starbucks
Default Title