The Department of Music became the School of Music in 1897 and in 1931 merged with the Department of Art and Design in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the Department of Architecture in the College of Engineering, and the Division of Landscape Architecture in the College of Agriculture to become the new College of Fine and Applied Arts.
Today, in addition to occupying the ornate Tina Weedon Smith Memorial Building, the School of Music also occupies the plain brick building known simply as the Music Building. Ground was broken on the building on January 15, 1969, the building was completed in 1972, and became the centralized home of the Music Library in August of 1974. The Music Building was designed by Richardson, Severens, Scheeler & Associates, Inc, and was funded by the Illinois Building Authority. #Memorial #Smith #University_of_Illinios