Dairy Experimental Round Barn East

Dairy Experimental Round Barn East

Facilities Information Resources
Description
Deep in the heart of the University's South Farms district tower the three Round Barns. Built between 1907 and 1913, and costing $21,500, the three barns anchored the 20-acre dairy demonstration farm and "offer[ed] the dairy farmer 'economy of consideration, low maintenance, and labor efficiency'". The barns, originally constructed as demonstration and research structures, were the creation of Wilbur J. Fraser, who led the Department of Dairy Husbandry from 1902 to 1913, and H. C. Crouch. Although originally constructed as an experiment, the barns later led the way for round barns to take over Illinois. Fewer than 60 of them remain throughout the United States #Barn #Round #University_of_Illinois
Default Title