The Worcester Telegram and Gazette has occupied this site since 1910. The current building was constructed by Chronicle Publishers in 1935 to house the expanding Worcester Telegram and Gazette Corp. newspaper and the radio station WTAG, which has since moved. In 1949, the building underwent a vast modernization which left it with the current four storey granite stone façade looking across Franklin Street at City Hall and the City’s Common. This front building houses the offices of the paper, while the rear of the building, facing along Portland Street, housed printing presses and warehouse space. The Worcester Telegram and Gazette, founded in 1866 and published as two separate daily papers, the Worcester Telegram, published for the morning, and the Worcester Evening Gazette, published for the evening, until 1986 when one daily Telegram and Gazette united the two, was sold to the New York Times in 1999 and remains Worcester’s only daily newspaper.