Hiawatha Hall

Hiawatha Hall

Josh
Hiawatha, Building No. 11, was built in 1898 at a cost of $19,000 and was used as the Chapel and Auditorium. The gymnasium was in the basement. The interior of the building has been remodeled many times. In 1918 swimming became a part of the physical education program with the pool in the basement of Hiawatha. Later, the swimming program was discontinued. In May, 1933, Hiawatha was converted into a girl’s gymnasium. The basement was made into a recreational center. In recent years the basement was remodeled for the Band Department. Today the basement houses the Band Rehersal Hall, band instructor’s office, and two classrooms-one for theory and organ and the other for theory and piano. The girls’ gymnasium occupies most of the first floor; however, in the east part there is a rehearsal hall for vocal music and music appreciation and an office. The entrance to the building has been changed during the years. The bell that hangs in the tower is thought to be the original bell which the early days called the students to church. It has been thought that the name Hiawatha came from the legendary Indian hero of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s poem, “The Song of Hiawatha,” written in 1855. It is said that Longfellow based his poem on the writings of an early American ethnologist, Henry Schoolcraft, who identified Hiawatha as the chief diety of the Chippewa Indians. #American #building #component #education #geography #gis #Haskell #hinu #history #Indian #Kansas #ku #landmark #Lawrence #model #nation #native #school #sketchup #university
Default Title