Fort Smith, AR: Old Commissary Building

Fort Smith, AR: Old Commissary Building

Mark L.
Constructed in 1838, the Old Commissary Building is not only the oldest structure in Fort Smith, Arkansas, but just one of two still standing from the second Fort Smith. Originally a storehouse, the trapezoidal-shaped commissary has dutifully served many uses over the course of its existence. However, by the end of the 1800s, it was no longer needed by the federal court and sold to a private owner. By 1910, a ladies’ group, striving to preserve the building and the city’s heritage, rescued the commissary by housing in it The Old Commissary Museum. Later renamed the Old Fort Museum, the association would occupy this space for the next seventy years. The National Parks Service took over the commissary’s restoration in the 1980’s, reinstating the building’s condition to represent its original purpose. citation: http://www.nps.gov/fosm/photosmultimedia/Commissary.htm #commissary #Fort_Smith #fort_smith_museum_of_history #national_parks_service #old_commissary_museum #old_fort_museum #storehouse
Default Title