Guiness Museum, formerly Hollywood Theater

Guiness Museum, formerly Hollywood Theater

Richard
The Guiness Museum is housed in the oldest standing movie theater in Hollywood. The former Hollywood Theatre was opened on December 20, 1913 as a silent movie palace in the rapidly emerging Hollywood Theater district. It was designed in a Romanesque style, by architects Kremple & Erkes. The facade had glazed brick. The lobby was in marble tile and the auditorium was decorated with Corinthian columns and a coffered ceiling. In September 1923, a Wurlitzer organ, Opus 697 was installed. The Hollywood Theatre was first remodeled in 1927. In 1938, Claude Beelman and Clifford A. Balch designed a new Art Deco & Moderne style interior, and the neon marquee we see today was added, designed by S. Charles Lee. It was one of the first to be installed with angled side panels to catch the eyes of passing motorists. The marquee was always the best element of the theater, and it has been saved and integrated into the building’s current facade. (Text by William Gabel, Ken Roe via cinematreasures.org) #1913 #1938 #6764_Hollywood_Blvd #Art_Deco #Cinema #Claud_Beelman #Claude_Beelman #Clifford_A_Balch #Guiness_Museum #Hollywood #Movie_Theater #National_Historic_Landmark #S_Charles_Lee #Walk_of_Fame
Default Title