Marble House

Marble House

Urban 3D
Created by Alva Vanderbilt and Richard Morris Hunt between 1888 and 1892, and inspired by the Petit Trianon at Versailles, Marble House contains 500,000 cubic feet of marble. Intended as an ultimate statement of Gilded Age privilege, only a few years later it hosted Alva’s “Votes for Women” rallies on the back lawn. Her husband, William K. Vanderbilt, was the grandson of Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt, who established the family's fortune in steamships and the New York Central Railroad. His older brother was Cornelius II, who built The Breakers. Alva Vanderbilt was a leading hostess in Newport society, and envisioned Marble House as her "temple to the arts" in America. The cost of the house was reported in contemporary press accounts to be $11 million, of which $7 million was spent on the marble. Upon its completion, Mr. Vanderbilt gave the house to his wife as a 39th birthday present. Today, Marble House is a National Historic Landmark maintained as an historic house museum by The Preservation Society of Newport County. Hear the words of Alva Vanderbilt, her daughter Consuelo and many more, brought to life in an award-winning audio tour. #Newport #Newport_Mansions #Road_Island
Default Title