Steamboat Springs Depot

Steamboat Springs Depot

Jim
The railroad came to Steamboat Springs in December of 1908. Originally, the railroad was going to bypass the town in favor of a shorter route to the coal fields through Twenty Mile Park. The railroad agreed to come through Steamboat under the condition that the depot would be built by the town, not the railroad. The two story building included a station office and waiting rooms below the second story living quarters, with a long freight extension to the northwest. In the early 1910s, Steamboat shipped more cattle through this depot than any other town in the country. When passenger service ended in 1968, the building was converted to a home for the Steamboat Springs Arts Council. The building was listed on the <a href="http://www.coloradohistory-oahp.org/programareas/register/1503/cty/rt.htm"> National Register of Historic Places </a> in 1978. #Steamboat_Springs_Depot
Default Title