Jackson County Courthouse (1888)

Jackson County Courthouse (1888)

WLeMay
The old Jackson County Courthouse in Webster was built of bricks and wood in 1888 and replaced an older, 1851 wood frame courthouse on the same site. It served the county well for 25 years, but when the county seat moved to Sylva in 1914, the old Webster Courthouse ceased to be used. It stood for about 20 years empty, unloved, and abandoned, and was demolished around 1934, by which time most traces of the once-thriving "town" of Webster had ceased to exist. Today, the site is home to a one-story bungalow. Updated with vastly improved Model Quality and actual clock faces. #116 #1880s #1930s #Belfry #Brick #Carolina #City #Clock #Clocktower #County #Courthouse #Demolished #Empty #Former #Frame #Frontier #Ghost #Gone #Hall #Hilltop #Historical #History #Its #Jackson #Main #Missed #Mountain #Mountains #NC #New #North #Of #Old #Original #Remote #Rural #Sadly #School #Seat #Self #Shadow #Small #Street #Tower #Town #Urbanism #Victorian #Webster #West #Western #Wild #WPA
Default Title