Delta Chi Fraternity Cortland Chapter. Delta Chi is a law-based fraternity, founded in 1890 in Cornell. The SUNY Cortland Chapter is a community active organization, donating to the Jimmy V Foundation, and a local Muscular Dystrophy charity. 70 Tompkins Street is our Chapter House. On October 13, 1890 eleven law students at Cornell University formed a Law Fraternity, Delta Chi. In 1922, the Fraternity officially went "general", thus opening its membership to men in all areas of study. Delta Chi, in 1929, became the first fraternity to officially abolish the hazing practices associated with "hell week". There are 126 chapters and colonies operating throughout the United States and Canada. Distribution is fairly even across the continent. Delta Chi has nearly 94,000 initiates.