Minneapolis Fire Station 18 was constructed at the intersection of
N 32nd Ave (later renamed to Lowry Ave) and N 3rd St in 1892. The stations elevation and
its relative proximity to the Mississippi River caused its 75' fire observation tower to
be constructed in order to observe the huge geographical area occupied by the lumber
milling district located on both sides of the river in the late 1800's and 1900's.
No other Minneapolis fire station ever had such a tower. In November 26, 1921 the station
ceased operation when Engine 18 moved its location to Station 14. The building is no
longer standing. #fire_station #former_fire_station #historic_fire_station