Rubjerg Knude Lighthouse (Rubjerg Knude Fyr) is located on the coast of the North Sea in Rubjerg, in the Jutland municipality of Hjørring in northern Denmark. It was first lit on December 27, 1900. Construction of the lighthouse began in 1899.
The lighthouse is on the top of Lønstrup Klint (cliff), 60 metres (200 ft) above sea level. Until 1908 it operated on gas which it produced from a gasworks on the site. Shifting sands and coastal erosion are a serious problem. The coast is eroded on average 1.5 metres (4.9 ft) a year, which can be seen most clearly at the nearby Mårup Church which, when it was built around 1250, was 1 kilometre (0.62 mi) from the coast, but was dismantled in 2008 to prevent its falling into the sea. The lighthouse ceased operating on August 1, 1968. For a number of years, the buildings were used as a museum and coffee shop, but continual shifting sands caused them to be abandoned in 2002. By 2009, the small buildings were severely damaged by the pressure of the sand and were later removed. #Denmark #Leuchtturm #lichthouse_around_the_world #lighthouse #lighthouse_Denmark #North_Sea #ono_collection #Phare #Rubjerg_Knude #sea #sketchup #toren #tower #vuurtoren