Parks Library

Parks Library

csc
The original library building, designed in the classic revivalist style by the firm of Proudfoot, Bird & Rawson, was built by Sugarman Construction Company and completed for occupancy in 1925. Sequential additions were done in 1961 and 1969 by Brooks-Borg, and 1983 by Charles Herbert Associates. Prior to 1925, the library facilities had been housed in three different campus buildings. Collections which had been housed in Old Main since 1868 were moved to Morrill Hall when that building was completed in 1891. In 1914, the library was relocated to Central (now called Beardshear Hall) because it was deemed more fire-resistant than Morrill Hall. The 3rd addition extends to the south of the existing library and blends the new and older portions of the building. A glass curtain wall affords visitors a panoramic view of campus and serves as a transition between the limestone facades of the original building and the 3rd addition. The design also integrates the traditional architecture of the original building into the interior space of the library. Upon completion of the 3rd addition in 1983, the existing building was remodeled to deal with issues related to building codes, energy consumption and climate control. Parks Library has 2,473,075 volumes of collections with floor area of 325,488 sq. ft. There are four branch libraries around campus. Model was done by Andrew Temeyer & Kurtis Wolgast. #Parks_Library
Default Title