Having survived two terror regimes, it was felt that the time had come for Hungary to erect a fitting memorial to the victims, and at the same time to present a picture of what life was for Hungarians in those times.
On february the 25th on the Remembrance Day for the Victims of the communist resime House of Terror is celebrating its 5th year anniversary.
From the beginning of 1937, the Hungarian ultra-right party, the Arrowcross Party, hired more and more space in the house. In 1940 they took over the whole building and made it their headquarters. The party leader Ferenc Szálasi called the building "The House of Loyalty". In the autumn of 1944, when the Hungarian Nazis came to power, the basement was used as a prison.
As Budapest rid itself of German rule and was occupied by the Soviets, the communist-led Political Police claimed the house in February 1945, and created a prison labyrinth by connecting together the basements of the block. The State Security Police possessed the building until 1956. After they moved out the house was renovated, erasing the traces of its past. Andrassy 60 then became the headquarters of several firms and offices. In the 1970's, the basement where hundreds, perhaps thousands of people were tortured, was used as a club for young communists. #Arrow_cross #Communism #Communist #Nazi #Resime #Terror #torture