Jack Trice Stadium

Jack Trice Stadium

csc
Located on the southeast corner of the Ames campus, the Jack Trice Stadium at Iowa State University was completed in less than two years, from the ground breaking on Oct. 26, 1973, to the first game, a victory over Air Force, on Sept. 20, 1975. In late 1973 and spring of 1974, heavy earth-moving equipment shaped the embankments. A huge, movable form shaped the lower decks with thousands of cubic yards of concrete. Originally, the stadium had a capacity of 42,500, all on the sidelines. In 1976, end zone bleachers were constructed to increase capacity to more than 46,000. Standing room tickets, sold for each game, brought the capacity to more than 50,000. An all-time record crowd of 54,475 watched the ISU vs. Nebraska game on Oct. 27, 1990. Located on a 30-acre tract, the 55,000-seat stadium is one of the most beautiful nationally, and is part of the ISU Center, which includes James H. Hilton Coliseum, C.Y. Stephens Auditorium, J.W. Fisher Theater and the Carl Scheman Continuing Education Building, with lighted parking for 4,000 vehicles. The special football atmosphere here has been enhanced with the installation of a video/scoreboard and permanent lighting prior to the 2002 season. The stadium is named in honor of Jack Trice, Iowa State first African-American athlete. Trice died from injuries he received in a varsity football game in October 1923. The stadium offers an unobstructed view of the playing field and easy access and parking. This model was completed by Xin Li. #cyclone #Jack_Trice_Stadium
Default Title