New Wah Mei Building, Oregon, USA

New Wah Mei Building, Oregon, USA

Fai C.
Originally named Portland Seamen's Bethel, this building was designed by Justus Krumbein and built in 1881. The Portland Seamen's Friends Society, established to promote the temporal, moral, and spiritual welfare of seamen, steamboatmen, and longshoremen visiting Portland, financed the construction of the building. The society provided church services, boarding, a library, and reading room. Around 1910, the building became known as The California Hotel. The upper floors of the building were used for boarding purposes while the ground floor contained retail stores and restaurants. In 1943, the name was changed to the Queens Hotel. Due to dilapidating conditions, the upper floors have been mostly vacant for the past 50 years. The building has a stone foundation. Alternations to the structure include the removal of the cornice, exterior remodeling in 1952 and replacement of the parapet and coping in 1963. This is a primary contributing building located in the Skidmore-Old Town National Register Historic District and Portland New Chinatown / Japantown Historic District. #Chiantown #Portland
Default Title