Ancient Greek Tower St Marina the complex with the church

Ancient Greek Tower St Marina the complex with the church

Nikolas NTs
Five-storeyed, square tower (measuring 10 x 10 m.), around 20 m. high. It is made of local schist and marble (used in the frames of the openings, the corners and on the last floor). free-standing defense tower of the Hellenistic period, and one of the highest preserved ancient buildings. It originally served for the protection of the surrounding cultivation area, between the ancient cities of Koressia and Poieessa. Around 1600 A.D., when the monastery of Aghia Marina was founded, the tower was incorporated in the precinct, again having defensive function. #tower
Default Title