Fort Smith, AR: Historic Marker for The Old Commissary

Fort Smith, AR: Historic Marker for The Old Commissary

Mark L.
This marker resides on the grounds of the Fort Smith National Historic Site adjacent to the Old Commissary. The text on the plaque reads: "Old Commissary - This building, on the N.W. bastion of the wall, was the commissary of the fort. Built in 1839, used until 1871, when the fort was abandoned as a military post. From 1861-65 it served as a hospital, guardhouse and refuge. Now a museum. Erected as a public service by the Noon Civics Club. 1936" #commissary #Fort_Smith #fort_smith_museum_of_history #marker #monument #national_parks_service #old_commissary_museum #old_fort_museum #storehouse
Default Title