Széchenyi lánchíd or Széchenyi Chain Bridge is a suspension bridge that spans the River Danube between Buda and Pest, the western and eastern sides of Budapest, the capital of Hungary. The first bridge across the Danube in Budapest, it was designed by the English engineer William Tierney Clark in 1839, after Count István Széchenyi's initiative in the same year, with construction supervised locally by Scottish engineer Adam Clark (no relation). It opened in 1849, thus became the first bridge in the Hungarian capital. At the time, its center span of 202 m was one of the largest in the world. The pairs of lions at each of the abutments were added in 1852.
Its two ends are
Roosevelt Square (with the Gresham Palace and the Hungarian Academy of Sciences) and
Adam Clark Square (the Zero Kilometre Stone, and the lower end of the Budapest Funicular, leading to Buda Castle). #Széchényi_Lánchíd