Kandersteg International Scout Centre

Kandersteg International Scout Centre

Callum K.
The Old Chalet was built in 1908 as accommodation for the workers building the Lotschberg Tunnel (which joins Kandersteg to Goppenstein). Nearly 3,000 men (mainly Italians) worked on it from 1906 until 1913. The Chalet was then deserted and lay abandoned until 1921 when it was discovered by Walter Von Bonstetten, the Chief Scout of Switzerland. At the time Lord Baden Powel was touring the World in search of somewhere to create a Permanent Mini Jamboree. And so his good friend, Von Bonstetten, suggested that Kandersteg could be ideal place for such an idea. It has been used ever since, and has attracted Scouts from all over the world. In 1996, it was extended to offer more accomodation space, a new office and mess hall. #Callum #Callum_K #Father_of_Scouting #International_Scout_Centre #Kandersteg #KISC #Lodge #Lord_Baden_Powel #Mutt #Powel #Scout #Scout_Centre #Scout_Lodge #Scouting #Scouts #Swiss #Switzerland
Default Title