St Mary's Church, Lead, Nr Towton Battlefield

St Mary's Church, Lead, Nr Towton Battlefield

Landmark3d
Description
St Mary's Lead Church stands alone in the middle of a field and not far from where the Battle of Towton was fought on March 29, 1461, which was the bloodiest battle ever fought on English Soil. The church was built in the 12th century and used by the residents of the village of Lead (now disappeared] especially the Tyas and Scargill families (probably used as a private chapel). Tombs of these families are located by the altar with the family coats of arms inscribed thereon. Lead church is a small church, no more than 18ft long and the building is a simple rectangle with a bell-cote at the western end, which is thought to date from the 14th century. #Battle_Battlefield #Chapel #Church #Lead #Saxton #St_Mary #Tadcaster #Towton
Category
Default Title