Former Mail Exchange

Former Mail Exchange

Stuart A.
A nineteenth century Federation Queen Anne-style building on a prominent corner of Launceston's civic precinct, this building was previously used and maintained by Australia Post as a mail exchange. Originally single storey, a second floor was added between 1900 and 1910 matching the ground floor. The Town Hall Annexe was developed in 1986-88. The Council purchased the building late in 1986 and retained the original facade that was classified by the National Trust and protected by a Covenant. The tuck-pointed brickwork of this building is among the finest examples in Australia. The Annexe, needing central structural strengthening and extensive internal remodelling, was completed in September 1988. The latest internal alterations extended office facilities located in the Town Hall Annexe. The facade was restored during 1993-94. Difficulties were experienced in finding materials and skills to finish the exterior. The structural alterations were completed in March 1994, and installation of key stones and quoins, tuck-point brick joints and the painting and rendering around windows were finished later in 1994. #annexe #council #exchange #Launceston #Mail_Exchange #office #public #Tasmania #Victorian #warehouse
Default Title