In the junction of 15-16th centuries Lithuania faced threat of tartars and fast growing Russia. Inhabitants of Vilnius felt unsafe thus they asked the then leading Grand Duke Aleksandras to build a defensive wall. Under such circumstances, the defensive wall was started to build in 1503 by citizens themselves. These who were too weak to brick the masonry, still had to build the
The defensive wall was finished in 1522. It had 10 gates and 5 towers. In the 17th century, when again threat of foreign attacks appeared, the wall was reconstructed and the bastion of horseshoe shape was built additionally. It was constructed so that it could be used to repel foreign military forces. During Russian tsar government in the beginning of 19th century, the defensive meaning of bastion degraded and the former defensive object became a simple scrapheap of Vilnius city. Most masonries were poured with soil and thus bastion became not useful and dirty place. Only in 1966 thorough researched works were implemented. A tower was rebuilt, some inside lodgments where there were guns kept before and an underground tunnel were reconstructed. In 1987 a museum was established in the bastion where guns and other military ammunition of 15-19th centuries are exposed.