The Free Church

The Free Church

Matt
The Letchworth Free Church, the first church built in Letchworth, was established in 1905, two years after the foundation of the Garden City. It was the intention to build up a community of Christians from different Free Church or Non-Conformist backgrounds, provided that they could accept the simple basis of fellowship. The Church was opened on 17 October 1905 in Gernon Road, and was the first public building in the town. The Church called its first pastor, the Revd W R Jackson, on 18 September 1907. It was extended between 1908-1909 at a cost of £862, but by 1923 it was obvious that a larger church was required and the new foundation stone was laid in September of that year. This church opened on 24 June 1924. It was designed by Barry Parker, who had designed many of the Garden City buildings and built by a local builder, Mr Openshawe. #3d_lgc #church #free_church #letchworth_garden_city #united_reform_church #urc
Default Title