Union Station History
The 1907 illustrated handbook of Meridian, Mississippi, states the city of Meridian is a "child of the railroad." The railroads developed in Meridian in the 1850s with the Mobile & Ohio and the Alabama and Vicksburg lines forming a junction at the small community. Meridian would grow to become the largest city in Mississippi at the turn of the 20th-century with five major rail lines and 44 trains coming in and out of Meridian daily.
The Meridian Terminal Company, composed of officers of the Mobile & Ohio, the Southern, the Alabama and Vicksburg, the New Orleans and the Northeastern rail lines, was formed to build a new passenger depot. The new depot and railway express agency were completed in August of 1906 at a cost of $250,000 and constructed in Mission Revival architecture. The original depot construction included a central tower, which was demolished in the late 1940s. Further demolition to Union Station occurred in 1966 when all but the eastern wing of the remaining passenger depot was removed.
(601) 484-6841 #Meridian #Mississippi #MS #Union_Station