Art Institute of Chicago

Art Institute of Chicago

Nickvet419
Description
The current building at 111 South Michigan Avenue is third address for the Art Institute. It was designed in the Beaux-Arts style by Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge of Boston, Massachusetts[13] for the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition as the World's Congress Auxiliary Building with the intent that the Art Institute occupy the space after the fair closed. The Art Institute's famous western entrance on Michigan Avenue is guarded by two bronze lion statues created by Edward L. Kemeys. The sculptor gave them unofficial names: the south lion is "stands in an attitude of defiance," and the north lion is "on the prowl." When a Chicago sports team plays in the championships of their respective league, the lions are frequently dressed in that team's uniform. Evergreen wreaths are placed around their necks during the Christmas season. Art Institute of Chicago Building North LionThe east entrance of the museum is marked by the stone arch entrance to the old Chicago Stock Exchange. Expantions include; Auditorium (1898), Ryerson Library (1901), George Alexander McKinlock Jr. Memorial Court (1924), Kenneth Sawyer Goodman Theater (1925), Morton Wing (1962), Robert Allerton Wing (1968), Daniel F. and Ada L. Rice Building (1988), Modern Wing (2009). Original modeled by Crystal V. Olin. Rmodeled by Nickvet419. #AIA150 #architectural_drawings #art #art_institute #Art_Institute_of_Chicago #art_museum #Chicago #collections #Crystal_V_Olin #drawings #exhibitions #fragments #Google #IL #Illinois #Kenneth_Sawyer_Goodman_Theater #Michigan_Avenue #Modern_Wing #Morton_Wing #museum #paintings #photographs #prints #Robert_Allerton_Wing #Ryerson_Library #sculptures #textiles #video
Default Title