Sunderland Parish Church

Sunderland Parish Church

Phil Collinson
Sunderland Parish Church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was erected in 1719, and consecrated by the Bishop of London, September 5th the same year. It is built of brick with stone dressings, and comprises nave, aisles, chancel, and square western tower. The exterior of the building is very plain and unprepossessing; the interior is little better, being disfigured by galleries, pews, and the ornamentation peculiar to the manner and period. Sunderland was separated from the parish of Bishopwearmouth by Act of Parliament in 1719, and constituted a distinct and independent rectory, the burgesses having previously erected the present church, vestry, and rectory? house upon part of one of the common fields, called the Intack, where they also enclosed a piece of ground for a cemetery. The remains of "Jack Crawford," a monument of whose exploit stands in the park, are interred here. The tower contains an illuminated clock and a peal of eight bells , the church contains sittings for 1400 persons; the parish register commences parish in 1719. The living is a rectory, the gross annual value of which is estimated at £ 660. Patron, the Bishop of Durham; rector, Rev. Thomas Randell, D.D. #Church #East_End #Monkwearmouth #Parish #Sunderland #Tyne #Wear
Default Title