Sherman House

Sherman House

Model Your Campus
The Sherman House is the home of the premiere Native American Studies program in the United States. Professor Frank A. Sherman had his house built at 37 North Main in 1883. Today the building stands on the corner of Maynard and North Main though the house predates Maynard Street by nine years. Sherman still owned the house in 1905. In its original guise the house was a rather conventional two-story building with a steeply-pitched roof and jerkin-headed gables. By 1928 the Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity had bought the house and had hired Jens Larson to design a new appearance: as it stands today the house's upper stories wear a rather Tudor half-timbered skin with leaded windows and a porch of carefully haphazard brick. The building was in private hands again by 1950 and the College now owns it. (Source: Scott Meacham "Notes toward a Catalog of the Buildings and Landscapes of Dartmouth College " Dartmo.: The Buildings of Dartmouth College (updated 2001) at http://www.dartmo.com/buildings) Modeled by Jessica Glago
Default Title