Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway No.7 ''River Esk'' (1967-1970)

Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway No.7 ''River Esk'' (1967-1970)

Elizabeth's British Railways
Built in 1923 as a 2-8-2 by Davey Paxman of Colchester and designed by Henry Greenly, it was designed to haul both stone and passenger trains, however soon found more use on passenger traffic. It was originally fitted with Lentz poppet valve gear, but this didn’t prove to be successful. It was painted works grey in 1924, then LMS red with black and straw lining to 1927. It was then repainted mid green with black and yellow lining during a rebuild in 1928 by the Yorkshire Engine Co, when the original valve gear was replaced with the current walcharts valve gear. At the same time, the loco received a Poultney steam tender, making the locomotive a 2-8-2-0-8-0. This proved unsuccessful and was soon removed, instead being utilised nearly forty years later as part of the second River Mite, after languishing at Murthwaite. The locomotive was out of use from 1940 to 1952, survived into the preservation era and was repainted in a new livery of LNWR black in 1967 and received a new tender in 197
Default Title