Upper Fort Garry Gate

Upper Fort Garry Gate

ahsy
Fort Garry also known as Upper Fort Garry was a Hudson's Bay Company trading post at the confluence of the Red and Assiniboine rivers in what is now downtown Winnipeg. The fort was established in 1822, destroyed by a severe flood in 1826 and rebuilt in 1836. In late 1869 and early 1870, the fort was seized by Louis Riel and his Métis followers during the Red River Rebellion. By the end of the 1880s, the majority of the fort had been demolished to straighten Main Street. Only the main gate of the fort remains today. It was designated a site of national historic significance in 1924 and is now widely considered the "birthplace" of the city of Winnipeg. An image of the Fort Gary Gate is included prominently in the official crest of the city of Winnipeg. #fort #fur_trading_post #Garry #gate #HBC #Hudsons_Bay_Company #Louis_Riel #Manitoba #Métis #Red_River_Rebellion #Upper_Fort_Garry_Gate #Winnipeg
Default Title