101 South Water Street Customs House in Chestertown
Modeled by: Tyler Brice
Built in 1746, the Custom House was the residence of Thomas Ringgold, a leader of the local Sons of Liberty who was also – in cruel contrast – one of the most active slave traders in the entire Chesapeake region. The building, overlooking the tidal waters of the Chester River, also served as a warehouse and store, and British redcoats were quartered here during the French and Indian War. Prior to the Revolution, Chestertown’s local inspector of His Majesty’s Customs worked in an adjacent office, recording the cargoes of vessels coming and going from Chestertown to Europe, the West Indies, Africa, and beyond. In May of 1774, the dramatic and much-debated Chestertown Tea Party may or may not have occurred beneath the windows of the Custom House.
Visit: (http://starrcenter.washcoll.edu/about_the_center/the_custom_house.php) for more information on the custom house.
Currently It houses C.V. Starr Center which offers tours through the building. #101_South_Water #21620 #Chestertown_Custom_House #Chestertown_Maryland