Telephone Building

Telephone Building

Creating Hartford
The New England Telephone and Telegraph building is a two-story building located on the north west corner of the intersection of Gates and Currier Streets. The original building was built in 1922. The New England Telephone and Telegraph Company opened its first office in 1894, and was located in White River Junction at the Junction House. In 1915, the company moved into the Hartford Savings Bank building and remained there until the subject building was constructed. This building was built on the location of a Queen Anne style house circa 1890 that had been moved across the street in 1917. After the building of the original white, two-story Colonial Revival house, a four-story brick structure was attached to the rear of the building. The first three stories were added in 1961 and then the final fourth story came in 1975. New England Telephone and Telegraph was eventually purchased by Bell Telephone Company. After the merger of New England Telephone and Telegraph with Bell Telephone Company the Bell Company was bought out by AT&T. Verizon Communications soon bought the local AT&T branch and maintained and ran the building until its recent purchase by FairPoint Communications in 2008. FairPoint Communications is now is the owner and operator of the building. Courtesy of the National Register of Historic Places and the Hartford Historical Society For more information visit www.creatinghartfordvt.com
Default Title