The M.V. Kalakala (kuh-LOCK-uh-luh) was built as the M.V. Peralta in California in 1929. In 1933 a fire burned the superstructure of the M.V. Peralta down to the hull, and a year later Puget Sound Navigation Company owner Alexander Peabody bought the burnt remains for $6,400 and had the remains towed from California to Seattle. A year after that, the M.V. Kalakala, born from the Peralta's hull, set sail on Puget Sound. Instantly, the Kalakala became an immediate hit amongst commuters and tourists for her fast speed (17 knots), but also for her art deco design and rare, almost luxurious amnenities for a commuter ferry. Despite a near-teeth-rattling vibration, she became the No. 1 tourist attraction in Washington, keeping that status for three decades. In 1951 Washington State took over operations of the PSNC, and made small changes to the Kalakala. She became the first sea-going vessel ever to be licensed a commercial marine radar license. In 1967, she would be retired by the super-ferry M.V. Hyak, and a year later the Kalakala would move to Alaska, beginning a new career as a crab cannery. Now, she rests on the Hylebos Waterway in S. Tacoma, with an uncertain future.
THIS MODEL IS COPYRIGHT (C) 2012 Steve Rosenow, All Rights Reserved. Any other use of this model is expressly prohibited and violations will be dealt with accordingly. Do NOT steal, alter, or upload this model as your own in ANY way. #ferries #ferry #Kalakala #Kalakala_ferry #Washington_State_Ferries #WSF