Crawford House

Crawford House

Jim
James and Margaret Crawford and their four children were the first permanent residents in the Steamboat Springs area, moving here in 1876. James was the first county judge of Routt County, the first Postmaster, the first Superintendent of Schools, twice elected to the Colorado legislature, and the first mayor of Steamboat Springs. He hired stonemason Charles Briggs in 1893 to build this house from local quarried stone for horses worth about $1,350. He lived in the house until he died in 1930, and Margaret lived here an additional 9 years. The house was placed on the <a href="http://www.coloradohistory-oahp.org/programareas/register/1503/cty/rt.htm"> National Register of Historic Places </a> in 2005. More information about the Crawford House can be found at http://www.CrawfordPioneersOfSteamboatSprings.com and a beautiful panoramic aerial view of the house can be seen at http://www.steamboataerials.com/CrawfordHouse.swf #Crawford_House #Steamboat_Springs
Default Title