The library was built in 1907 as a memorial to the late George W. Gates and his family. George was superintendent of construction of the Western Union Telegraph Company and was seen as a visionary. The library was opened to the public on April 2, 1907. The building is brick with stained glass windows in the front. It is uniquely shaped with distinct features such as a rounded Tudor arched doorway, concrete outlying, and arches. In 2000, the library closed down after 93 years of continuous service. The building is now leased to the Good Neighbor Clinic. The clinic is a free health care facility whose mission is to provide medical and dental care to those in the Upper Valley who are in need, but are unable to pay.
For more information please visit;
http://www.creatinghartfordvt.com #Creating_Hartford_History #Gates_Library #Good_Neighbor_Health_Clinic