Improvement Farm, Wharram Percy

Improvement Farm, Wharram Percy

Geoffrey H.
In the 1770s the farm at Wharram Percy was 'improved' by the landlord, Sir Charles Buck. Agriculture in east Yorkshire was changing dramatically, as sheep-farming reverted to arable farming and new fields were created, separated by hedges and ditches. This 'Improvement' also involved the building of new stone and brick houses for the tenant farmers, larger barns and a granary. These buildings were demolished in the 19th century, replaced by a farmhouse one mile distant, but the byre and feed-store, have survived and have been incorporated into the present cottages for labourers. In the 20th century, the cottages enjoyed a new lease of life as a hostel and headquarters for the archaeologists involved in the excavations from 1950 to 1990. Source: english-heritage.org.uk #British #England #Europe #Farm #G3FX #Great_Britain #North_Yorkshire #UK #Wharram_Percy #Yorkshire
Default Title