The Parker Block is a three-story, rectangular shaped, 44' x 80' commercial building with a flat roof built by Wallace Dow, architect, in 1890. The Romanesque styled structure is constructed of brick and quartzite. The polychromatic facade is characterized by dark orange brick set in running bond with a purple colored, rock-faced quartzite used for the trim and the foundation. Distinguishing features include horizontal bandwork, round arches, and a tapered facade that appears to set out in front of the building. Except for the storefront display
windows, all windows in the building are of a one-over-one double-hung variety. The first occupant of the building was the Sioux Falls Candy Company, which occupied the entire first floor. The candy company was established in July 1891 and employed twenty-two workers to make 'all kinds of candy and fine confectionery for a general wholesale trade." Although it changed hands several times, the candy factory remained in the Parker Block through 1902. In 1907, the upper floors were taken over by the Artenberg Hotel, which later
became the Grace Hotel and then the Hotel Royal. Later tenants of the store spaces include a blacksmith shop, two printing presses, a cigar store, and grocers. A building containing concrete block manufacturer was erected behind the Parker Block in 1925 and razed in 1990.