Maryhill Art Museum

Maryhill Art Museum

Ron Hall 76
Originally one of the homes of tycoon Samuel Hill(1857–1931), a businessman, lawyer, railroad executive and advocate of good roads in the Pacific Northwest. He had a substantial impact on the economic development of the Pacific Northwest in the early 20th century. Hill bought land in Klickitat County near the Columbia River, envisioning a new community in the Inland Empire. He named the parcel Maryhill, after his wife and his daughter Mary (who never actually lived there). His original plan was to develop it as a community of Quaker farmers, but no Quakers besides himself ever moved there. The land proved useful for his transportation advocacy; he built, at his own expense, the first paved road in the Pacific Northwest, part of which is still open to pedestrians and bicyclists (now called the Maryhill Loop Road.) He also built this mansion, but later decided – at the urging of his friend Queen Marie of Romania – to convert it into an art museum. The museum was dedicated in 1926, but did not open to the public until 1940, nine years after Hill's death. #art_museum #GBD_Architects #Mary_and_Bruce_Stevenson #Maryhill #Maryhill_Art_Museum #museum #Sam_Hill #Samuel_Hill
Default Title