The building fronts Duke Street and is located at the north end of Grand Parade, an historic military parade square dating from the founding of Halifax in 1749.
It was designed by Edward Elliot and constructed for the City of Halifax between 1887 and 1890; it is one of the oldest and largest public buildings in Nova Scotia and is a designated National Historic Site of Canada.
The building is of cream and red sandstone, designed in an eclectic, monumental style. It features granite construction on the ground floor and in the tower. The seven-storey tower has clock faces on the north and south sides. The northern face, visible in the photograph (above right), is fixed at four minutes past nine to commemorate the Halifax Explosion of 1917 #Building #City_Hall #Downtown #Halifax #Literary_Tour #Nova_Scotia #Parade_Square #Politcal