The Norman Tower was built between 1120 and 1148 by Abbot Anselm to be both the principal gateway to the abbey precinct and the bell tower to the church of St James which became St Edmundswbury Cathedral in 1914.
The tower contains a fine peal of ten bells cast by Thomas Osborn of Downham Market in 1785. The bells, which were still hanging in their original wooden frame, were re-hung by Taylors of Loughborough in a cast iron ‘A' type frame some 12 feet lower in the Tower in 1973. The heaviest bell, the 'tenor', weighs 27 hundredweight, 2 quarters and 5 pounds and sounds a C sharp note. Approximately 160 peals have been rung since records began in November 1879. The bells are rung on Sundays from 9.00 a.m. for the 10 o'clock Eucharist. They are also rung for weddings and other special occasions. Bell practice takes place on Tuesdays from 7.30 p.m. until 9.00 p.m. New ringers are always welcome.
St Edmundsbury Cathedral website > http://www.stedscathedral.co.uk/index.htm #Bury_St_Edmunds #Norman_Tower #Suffolk #UK