The Armory Field House opened in 1954 followed by Laurence Hall in 1961. The Field House was converted into a recreation facility for the general student body in the 1980s. Shoemaker Center (Now Fifth Third Arena) opened its doors in 1989 and was designed as a multipurpose facility for athletics and recreation. The department of Campus Recreation operated facilities and programs in three buildings (Armory Field House Laurence Hall and the Shoemaker Center) that provided free weight areas cardiovascular equipment multi-purpose rooms an indoor track and three basketball courts. These facilities were used until the new Campus Recreation Center opened in February 2006.