100 Block E. Davis Street (North Side), Culpeper, Virginia

100 Block E. Davis Street (North Side), Culpeper, Virginia

J. Wallace
Description
Davis Street forms the main shopping district in the town of Culpeper. Laid out as one of the original avenues in the town of Fairfax, the courthouse was built at the northeastern corner of the intersection of Main and Davis Streets in 1809. After its destruction in 1870 and a series of fires, the street was rebuilt into its present form, shown here. Noteworthy buildings include the old Culpeper Baptist Church, built in 1915 after the original burned down and the white-and-dark-blue Knakal's Bakery building, given a modern facade in the late 1940s. The street suffered a decline in the late 1970s and early 1980s, but thanks to the Culpeper Downtown Renaissance project, it has been revitalized and is now home to many trendy stores, all of which are depicted with meticulous detail here. #bank #borough #city #civil #commerce #commercial #county #county_seat #cross #cross_roads #crossroads #dixie #intersection #italianate #roads #shop #south #store #town #village #war
Default Title