St James, Bilbrough

St James, Bilbrough

Geoffrey H.
Bilbrough’s most notable historical association is with Thomas Fairfax, 1612 - 1671. His tomb and that of his wife Anne lies in the 15th century chapel of the church of St. James. The first church in Bilbrough was probably Norman. A picture of the first church shows a small church with a tower at the West End and entry to the church by a south door. The windows are Gothic. The Chantry Chapel is now all that remains of that ancient church. The old church seated 76 and catered for a village of under 200 people. In 1873 the old church was pulled down and rebuilt by the architect G Fowler Jones. A font, perhaps Norman, was taken out of the old church when it was rebuilt and is now in the garden of the Old Rectory. The new church, seating 156 people, was built in the Norman style. It cost £2,264 – not much when it is considered that the average parsonage at the time cost £1,500 to build. Thomas Fairfax provided the money and also built a Public School at a cost of £154. There was a private school in the parish in the 18th century. Source: bilbroughvillagehall.co.uk #Bilbrough #British #Christian #Christianity #Church #England #Europe #G3FX #Great_Britain #North_Yorkshire #Religion #St_James #Thomas_Fairfax #UK #York #Yorkshire
Default Title